It used to be that whenever I made cookies I would ALWAYS opt for the chocolate and never the oatmeal, but lately it’s been all that I’ve wanted. And oh boy have I ever been missing a lot. These cookies are sweet, but not too sweet, they are soft and just delightful. Seriously – they are the best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made. Careful though – you might eat the whole batch before you’ve realized what you’re doing. Or at least, if you live in the Butler-Ames household that’s what you’d do!
Recipe: Yields 16 cookies (subtract 4 if you’re a dough eater)
1/2 cup (rounded) all purpose flour
1/3 cup (rounded) butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup (rounded) brown sugar
3 1/2 tbsp. white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
1/3 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F (or 300 if your oven is finicky like mine)
- In a large bowl, cream butter,brown sugar and white sugar until smooth.
- Beat in egg, then stir in the vanilla. (Mmm vanilla.)
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Stir slowly into cream mixture until just blended, then add the quick oats, walnuts and chocolate chips. Or if you’re eager for the cookies like I am, just add the lot and mix mix mix mix.
- Separate portions onto cookie sheet
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes (or until they won’t burn your fingers if you’re impatient) and eat those cookies!
I hope you enjoy these cookies! Despite them liking to meld together on me, they have become one of my absolute favourite cookies.
Do you want to see more recipes? Let me know in the comments!